Tips for a healthier lifestyle : 1- Make your dishes healthier
We all want to eat healthier, make changes to our diet so that we can stay healthy and look good, but the problem is that healthy food doesn’t really taste as tasty and heartwarming as non-healthy food does. I mean, it’s hard to picture someone craving carrot slices or quinoa salad as we crave cheese cake or creamy salad. But the thing is, you don’t really have to give up on all the good taste out there to eat healthy. You don't need to make huge changes to eat healthier. And you don't have to change your habits all at the same time. You can start by making simple changes in your recipes , substitute some of the ingredients for their lighter version.These simple changes may be little,but they will make a big change in your diet and in your health over time. And you can always treat yourself to a non healthy meal from time to time.
Here are a few tips from safefood.com that will help you cook the healthier version of your favorite recipes by reducing fat,sugar,salt ,calories and increasing fiber without changing your normal diet.
1.Cut down on fats.
-- If stir frying, use a good nonstick pan and dry fry(e.g. in case of mincemeat) leaving out the oil could cut 45 calories per teaspoon in your meal.
- If your food is drying out, don’t add more oil, add a little water.
- Use oils and fats that are high in good fats (poly and mono saturated fats), like olive oil and try using less than the recipe suggests.
2.Cut down on salt
- Most recipes indicate that you need to add salt. Replace salt with alternative seasonings such as pepper,herbs,spices,lemon juice,vinegar or mustard.
Allow people to put the salt on their own food after tasting it- they are likely to add less..
3.Cut down on sugar
- Experiment by using less sugar when you bake,most cakes will work even if the quantity of sugar in the recipe is halved.items such as fruit cakes and fruit scones and tea breads can be made without adding sugar as the dried fruit will provide sweetness.
- Increase fibers.
- Use brown alternatives of rice, pasta and bread to increase the fiber content of recipes which will help you feel fuller for longer.
- Instead of using all plain white flour recipes, use a mix of wholemeal and plain flour when baking,
- Top dishes requiring pastry such as chicken pie,with mashed potato instead.
5.Soups and stews
- Allow your broth,stew or soup to cool and skim off the fat that gathers on top of the liquid.
-Replacing some of the traditional fatty meats in stews with pulses like peas,beans and lentils can save calories and fats as well as adding fiber.
6.Sauces and dips
-Replace cream,whole milk and sour cream with semi skimmed milk and skimmed milk or low fat yoghurt.low fat yoghurt can be used on hot or cold puddings and in dips instead of cream and double cream.
- Use strongly flavoured cheeses like mature cheddar or blue cheese in your dishes,you can use less and still get all the flavor.
- If you don’t like the strong taste of these cheeses simply use low fat alternatives of your favourites.
-Grate cheese instead of slicing as it will spread across a dish more easily and you can use less.
-Replace cream cheese with low fat cream cheese.
-Replace mayonnaise in salads with natural yoghurt or low fat yoghurt. Better still,try using vinaigrette dressings and serving them on the side.
-When making sandwiches, choose mayonnaise or butter, not both.
-Flavor cooked vegetables with herbs instead of butter or oil.
-Replace some meat in dishes such as lasagna with vegetables and pulses (peas,beans and lentils)
It’s a great way to disguise vegetables for fussy eaters.
- Use Spinach or kale instead of lettuce – While lettuce isn’t bad for you, when it comes to salad bases, it’s about as nutritionally lacking as it gets. Switch to darker, leafy greens like kale or spinach, which is rich in Vitamin K, Vitamin A, Calcium, and Iron.
Trim the fat from meat and remove the skin from poultry before cooking.
Bake,grill,microwave or r oast instead of frying it.
When roasting,place the meat on a grill rack ,this allows the fat to drip away.
If you are cooking minced meat,brown it and drain away the fat before adding other ingredients.
«How to Mend: Motherhood and Its Ghosts» .560 0
“If your mother was excessively tender and caring then you might want to be like her, and you might ...
Eat like a … (Greek)811 0
Eat like a … (Greek) Today we fly to another European country to follow our series where we live a ...
Tips for a healthier lifestyle : 1- Make your dishes healthier2342 0
We all want to eat healthier, make changes to our diet so that we can stay healthy and look good,